My Music Filled Weekend

On Friday I worked at The Writing Center.  I think my Writing Center co-workers were having a meeting because I got to see lots of friends.  My friend Jake was on the computer but that was okay with me:  I just worked on WPA Exams.  I got on the computer when Jake was all done.  After my work, I walked home quickly because I was excited about the Chinese play we were going to see. I am interested in China because my sister, Morielle, is living in China!  The music and dancing were a little funny but my mom said that was because Chinese music, dancing and language is different.  Morielle is learning all about Chinese language, writing and talking.  I am sure she would have liked to see the play because it was about an old Chinese story.  It was so sad.  The beautiful girl jumped into the fire and the boy and his family were so sad.

On Saturday we did a lot of catch-up paper work for school and my pot holder business.  We took pot holders to Great Harvest Bread and we entered inventory into Excel on my computer. I practiced for my concert while my mom made scones to share with my orchestra friends.  In the afternoon we relaxed:  I finished a locker-hooking project and then took a nap because  I wanted to enjoy the Symphony.  I saw lots of friends at the Symphony:  Church friends, MCT friends, swimming friends, Consumer Advisory Council friends, and neighborhood friends.  I liked the music even though it was very sad. Coach Sarah played and my friend Pete was singing.  Good Job!

On Sunday, we went to the restaurant after church with Grandma and Grandpa.  My mom took a box of food home to eat later.  I did not.  I ate everything on my plate:  2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 pancakes, 2 toast.  `Wow! That’s a lot of food, Mathalia,’ my mom said.  Then we played Muggins.  Grandpa mugginsed me.  `Poor Mathalia,’ he said.  But I didn’t care.  I was having fun.  In  the afternoon, I practiced violin getting ready for AA Orchestra Festival.

Monday morning I had to get up at 4:30!  My mom thought that it might be hard for me to get up so early but it was no problem because I was really excited about AA Orchestra Festival in Whitefish.  We got to Big Sky and waited for the bus.  After packing up all of our stuff:  violins, violas, cellos, basses, and our luggage we settled in for the trip:  we took naps, watched funny cartoons in Russian, and ate oranges and scones.

When we got to the auditorium, we met Mr. Payne and more musician friends from Whitefish High School.  We all worked together on `The King’s Speech’ which is really Beethoven’s 7th Symphony.  It was beautiful and it was fun to play with new friends.  Everyone said that we sounded really good.  And we did.  We also worked on `Halo’ and `The Molly Maguires’ and `Danse Bacchanale’ which was very beautiful.  I hung out with my friends Zoe and Kaitie for lunch.  I had soup and sandwich but I didn’t have time to finish my sandwich so they put it in a box for me and I ate it for my supper.

After rehearsal we went to the hotel.  I went swimming in a very funny pool—it had a tunnel and I swam through the tunnel and then I was outside!  But I wasn’t cold.  It was nice because the water was warm.  I was having fun swimming with my orchestra friends.  Then I took a shower, ate my sandwich and we went to the concert.  My favorite piece was `Tryptich for Strings’ which we had played before.  Mrs. Haarvig said we did a good job and that we sounded very big for a small orchestra.  That made us all feel great and we were very excited about making beautiful music together.  We were so excited that we were hungry again so the bus driver took us to the grocery store so we could buy some more food:  I got some yogurt and some crackers for a snack.  Then I hung out with my roommate Zoe in our room and went to sleep.

Tuesday morning Zoe and I had a nice hotel breakfast together and then we went to rehearsal again.  We were doing so well that Mr. Payne gave us some new music to try playing.  It was fun to try different things with our big orchestra.  For lunch the bus driver took us to Subway and we had lunch and signed a `thank you’ card for Mr. Payne.  He was awesome:  he taught us a lot; and he helped us sound even better.  We had had two really fun days of practice and we wanted him to know that we enjoyed learning and making music with him.

In the afternoon we got to hear other friends from Anaconda and Corvalis play their pieces and then we walked around town looking at the interesting shops and places to eat in Whitefish and then we all met at Mackenzie River Pizza which was fun.  I ate pizza with salad and then I hung out with orchestra friends. We went grocery shopping for snacks to eat on the way home. Then we walked back to the auditorium and changed into our concert clothes.  We listened to our friends play before it we went on stage for our turn.  While we were waiting for Mr. Payne to be introduced, I realized that I couldn’t see my mom in the audience and that she couldn’t see me so I stood up very quickly and moved my chair and my stand so that she could see me from her place. I saw her smile and give me a little wave.  I know she wanted to watch me play because I am a Senior and it was my last AA Festival concert.  I was concentrating on my playing so I don’t know if she was being silly but I know she she liked the concert a lot.  We played our pieces and gave our gift to Mr. Payne.  And then the concert was all done.

I quickly changed my clothes again before we got on the bus.  I was quick because I didn’t want the bus to leave without me!  But no one was waiting:  friends were looking for some misplaced sweaters so I was okay.  Then the bus driver drove us home.  I had a few snacks and watched a bit of the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but mostly I was tired and I took a nap on the bus.  Wow!  The two days went by really fast!  And now AA Orchestra Festival is all done.  I got to play in AA Orchestra three times and six times I got to listen to my brother and sister play music in their AA Orchestra Festivals—-lots of wonderful memories of making music together with friends.  My mom said, let us give thanks for all the music this weekend and throughout the years.  This was certainly My Music Filled Weekend:  Chinese music in the play;  Mozart music at the Symphony; and lots of music with friends at AA Orchestra Festival.

2 thoughts on “My Music Filled Weekend

  1. Sounds like you had a big wonderful weekend. I agree with Mom regarding gratitude for God’s gift of music. Hallelujah!

    Good job, Mathalia!

  2. Dear Mathalia, Congratulations on beautiful music made at your final AA Concert. It sounded like a REALLY fun weekend in Whitefish! Isn’t the view of the Big Mountain from the town a lovely one?
    What an exciting Senior year you are having!!! It was good to see you at Darko’s pre-concert talk. I didn’t come down during intermission as I am still trying to stay off my operated-on foot as much as possible. Love, Gingy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s